President Duterte has approved the release of an additional P3.4 billion for the cash assistance or “ayuda” for residents affected by the ongoing enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) in different places in the country.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque made the confirmation after Interior Undersecretary Jonathan Malaya reported the additional budget to aid families affected by the strict lockdown that was implemented due to the rising number of coronavirus (COVID-19) cases.
“Yes, I can confirm that,” Roque said in his press briefing on Thursday, August 12.
A total of P10.894 billion was released by the Department of Budget and Management (DBM) last week to aid residents and families affected by the ECQ in the National capital Region (NCR).
Affected residents will receive P1,000 each or up to P4,000 per family. The distribution started on August 11.
Metro Manila was placed under a two-week ECQ that will end on August 20.
Meanwhile, Roque said that the promised fund for the ayuda for residents affected by the ECQ in Laguna and Bataan was already released.
The DBM has proposed P2.715 billion for cash assistance for Laguna residents while it proposed P700 million for the ayuda of those in Bataan.
Local government units (LGUs) were given 15 days to finish the distribution of the financial assistance to their constituents but were allowed an extension if they cannot complete it due to challenges brought about by the pandemic.
President Duterte approved placing a number of areas under ECQ due to the rising number of COVID-19 cases and the alarming increase of Delta variant cases.