DOH says all age groups experiencing increase in COVID-19 cases

Published August 10, 2021, 12:27 AM

by Leslie Ann Aquino

The Department of Health (DOH) on Monday, August 9, said that an increase in coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases is being experienced across all age groups and not just among children.

DOH/MB

In a statement, the DOH said there was an overall 59 percent increase in cases among all age groups during the period of July 13 to 25 compared with July 26 to August 8.

It added that among the age groups, the highest increase was observed among the 30 to 39 age group and lowest among those 80-years-old and above during the same period.

“Naiintindihan po namin ang mga agam-agam at pangamba ng ating mga kababayan sa mga balitang lumalabas ngayon tungkol sa pagtaas ng kaso ng COVID-19 sa mga bata. Ngunit dapat ay liwanagan natin na itong pagtaas ng kaso ay nararamdaman sa lahat ng grupo at hindi lang sa mga bata (We understand the concerns and anxieties of our countrymen in the news coming out today about the increase in COVID-19 cases in children. But we must make it clear that this increase in cases is felt in all groups and not just in children),” said DOH Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire.

The Health department also said that the COVID-19 national vaccination program is following priority groups to allocate COVID-19 vaccines to those who need them the most due to the global scarcity of vaccine supplies.

“Patuloy po ang aming panawagan sa mga eligible population groups na magpabakuna na (We continue to call on eligible population groups to get vaccinated). To all adults already eligible for vaccination, please register with your local government units for immediate vaccination while children are not yet being vaccinated,” said Vergeire.

“By vaccinating yourselves, you are also protecting the children as you will shield them from possible COVID-19 infection,” she added.

The DOH reminded those eligible to get vaccinated to avail of the government’s free COVID-19 vaccination program to protect themselves and their families against COVID-19.

The Health department said vaccinated individuals should continue to follow the minimum public health standards such as correctly wearing face masks and face shields, physical distancing, washing of hands, and ensuring proper ventilation.

As of August 7, the government has fully vaccinated 11.2 million individuals.

Meanwhile, the DOH is retaining the policy to delay or not yet vaccinate children at this time.

In a meeting with President Duterte, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said more study is needed on the safety of the vaccines especially to children who are immunocompromised.

The Health chief also cited the limited supply of vaccines in the country as well as the vaccine that can be administered to them.

“Even if we start vaccinating children the supply we have right now in the country is not enough,” said Duque.

He said they also believe that children will also benefit with the vaccination of those who are older.

“If you are five in a household and four have been vaccinated, the child is also protected,” Duque said.

“That’s why until we don’t have enough supply we recommend to prioritize the elderly,” he added.

In a television interview earlier that day, Duque expressed support to the proposal to vaccinate children especially those that have comorbidities.

“Supply permitting, I wouldn’t mind that we should already start vaccinating children for as long as first, we prioritize which among the children,” he said.

“Those with comorbidities, of course, let us vaccinate them,” added Duque.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2781793,2913580,2913572,2913575,2913542,2913545,2913557]