Malacañang said President Duterte will not be discussing his plans for the 2022 elections during his State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 26, reiterating that the President’s speech will focus on telling the people what was in store in his last year in office.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque made the statement days ahead of Duterte’s sixth and final SONA on Monday.
In his press briefing on Thursday, July 22, Roque said it was unlikely that the President’s plans for 2022 will be included in his landmark speech.
“Siguro po hindi mapapasama ang kanyang mga planong politikal (I don’t think his political plans will be part of the speech),” he said.
“Ang importante (What’s important) is the roadmap for his last year in office,” he added.
On July 21, Roque said that Duterte’s speech was already finalized and that he had his first SONA rehearsal on Wednesday.
He added that the upcoming SONA will look back at the past five years of the Duterte presidency and the administration’s important programs.
“Ang magiging porma ng SONA niya (President Duterte) ay titignan niya ang nakalipas na limang taong siya’y naging Presidente (His SONA will look back at the past five years that he was President),” Roque said.
“Po-focus siya, siyempre, sa pag-unlad ng bayan, sa ating mga (He will focus, of course, on the country’s growth, our) social programs, infrastructure, peace and security, foreign policy,” he added.
The President will likewise tell the public where the Philippines currently was.
“Sasagutin niya ang tanong na (He will answer the questions) ‘What and where are we now?’, and ‘Looking forward’ doon sa huling taon ng panunungkulan ng ating Presidente (on his last year as the President),” Roque said.