Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said President Duterte was obviously concerned about his son Davao City Vice Mayor Sebastian “Baste” Duterte after the latter tested positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
In his press briefing on Thursday, July 22, Roque said it was a good thing for the Vice Mayor was that he was physically fit.
“Of course, the President is concerned, as a father,” he said.
“Bagama’t (Although) one thing for vice mayor is siya po ay bata at malusog. Talaga naman pong immune system ang lumalaban dito sa COVID-19 (he is healthy. COVID-19 is really a battle of the immune system),” he added.
Roque, however, was uncertain if President Duterte had met with his son after the positive test finding became known. The President was in Davao City when news about his son’s diagnosis got out.
“Wala po akong alam na close contact si Presidente (I have no clue if the President was a close contact),” he said.
In a radio interview, the Palace official said it was uncertain if the younger Duterte was hit with the Delta variant.
“Hindi po natin alam iyan. Pero, wala pa naman pong napapaulat na Delta variant na nakakarating po ng Davao (We don’t know that but there are no reports yet if the Delta variant has already reached Davao City),” he told DZRH.
Meanwhile, Roque was unsure if Baste’s condition would affect the first family’s attendance at their father’s sixth and final State of the Nation Address (SONA) on July 26. So far, only Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio has confirmed that she cannot make it to the event.
“Hindi ko lang po alam kung makakarating si Deputy Speaker Pulong (I just don’t know if Deputy Speaker Paolo Duterte will be able to attend). I understand the number of members of Congress attending will be very limited,” he said.