President Duterte is confident that he won the 2016 elections fair and square without any interference from China.
The President has rejected former Foreign Affairs Secretary Albert del Rosario’s allegation that China supposedly interfered to secure his landslide victory in the 2016 elections.
Duterte addressed Del Rosario’s allegations during his televised address Monday night, July 19, and expressed doubt that 16 million votes were bought to secure his win during the polls.
Duterte, former mayor of Davao City, earned more than 16.6 million votes to win the presidential elections in 2016. He had 6.6 million votes more than his closest rival, then Liberal Party candidate Mar Roxas.
“Daldal ka nang daldal diyan. Anong China, China magtulong sa akin? Gago ka saan mo nakuha ‘yan? 16 million? Makuha mo ng tulong sa ibang bayan? 16 million mabili mo? (You keep on talking. China helped me? You fool, where did you get that information? Can you get 16 million votes from another country? Can you buy 16 million?),” Duterte said during a televised address Monday, July 19, addressing Del Rosario’s claims.
“Ang aking majority is 6 million over, lahat 16 million, 16 million plus vote. Six million of that was my majority over your friend,” he told the former foreign affairs chief.
Duterte later threatened to confront Del Rosario over the matter, asking where he could meet him. He admitted that he wanted to throw a cup of coffee into Del Rosario’s face.
Last week, Del Rosario claimed that some Chinese officials were bragging about being able to influence the 2016 elections to ensure Duterte’s victory.
The former foreign affairs chief mentioned a reliable international entity for the supposed information. Del Rosario alleged that Duterte’s actions, including professing support for the Chinese leader, gave credence to such claims.