Duterte asks: Did the man in the wild car chase undergo drug test?

Published July 20, 2021, 12:14 AM

by Raymund Antonio

President Duterte on Monday, July 19, asked authorities if they have tested Arvin Tan, the man who led a wild daylight police chase from Quezon City to Manila last week, for illegal drug use.

President Rodrigo Duterte addresses the nation on July 19, 2021. (PCOO Screenshot)

“I have seen in the news in a recent incident where a certain Arvin Tan resisted arrest by police authorities and led a car chase from Quezon City to Manila damaging several vehicles and injuring many,” the Chief Executive said in a taped public address aired on Monday night.

“Tiningnan nyo na ba ito? (Did you check on him?) Have you had the opportunity to bring him to (a) facility where he can be tested if he is free of drugs?” he asked.

On July 13, Tan led a pursuit after he refused to pay his bill when he checked out from a budget hotel, demanding the staff to give him P20,000 instead.

READ: Man who refused to pay hotel bill nabbed after being chased by cops from QC to Manila

This led to an altercation that prompted the hotel staff to call the police. When the police arrived, Tan drove away in his black BMW.

A car chase ensued that resulted in Tan ramming a Quezon City Police District (QCPD) mobile car and hitting a policeman. He also ran into several other vehicles.

After his arrest, members of the QCPD found an opened sachet containing suspected crystal meth or shabu and an aluminum foil inside the suspect’s car. His drug test result has yet to be made public.

Tan is facing complaints for the violations of Republic Act 9208 or Anti-Trafficking in Person filed by a 21-year-old guest relations officer (GRO), Dangerous Drugs Act, Estafa, Reckless Imprudence Resulting in Damage to Government Property, and Resistance and Disobedience to a Person in Authority filed by the police.

Aside from Tan, Duterte also mentioned Franz Luke Orbos, who assaulted cops and traffic enforcers in Muntinlupa City after he was apprehended because his parked vehicle blocked the traffic along Susana Heights.

Orbos has since been released from detention.

READ: Orbos says sorry for cursing at Muntinlupa cops, traffic enforcers

A resident of San Juan, he was seen in a video confronting and threatening a police officer. Orbos questioned why he was being handcuffed, and whether the police officer knew who his father is.

The website of the Alpha Insurance & Surety Co. listed Oscar Orbos as Franz Luke’s father. The elder Orbos is a former executive secretary during the administration of the late President Corazon Aquino and former governor and representative of Pangasinan.

He is also the nephew of former Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) general manager Thomas “Tim” Orbos and Society of the Divine Word priest Jerry Orbos.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2763460,3007827,3007830,3007818,3007811,3007815,3007808]