Malacañang welcomed the possibility of Senate President Vicente Sotto III and Senator Panfilo Lacson running in tandem for the two highest positions in government in the 2022 elections.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque made the statement after Sotto said he and Lacson may make the announcement if they will run or not on August 5.
Lacson and Sotto were considering running in tandem for the 2022 presidential and vice-presidential race, respectively.
In his press briefing on Wednesday, July 14, Roque said Lacson and Sotto running would mean the voting public will have more choices.
“We wish them the very best because, in a democracy, kinakailangan may pinagpipilian ang taumbayan (the people should have options),” he said.
In a radio interview over the weekend, Sotto hinted at his and Lacson’s inclination to run in the 2022 polls as their consultations have so far been “very encouraging.”
The two lawmakers have been touring across Luzon to see what the people think about their potential candidacies and plans for the country.
Sotto said local officials were happy with their proposed programs. He said they have also met religious leaders and representatives from the private sector.
Meanwhile, the administration has also yet to finalize its candidates in the 2022 elections. However, President Duterte himself said he was “seriously considering” running for vice president.
However, Roque said despite recent talks about politics and the 2022 elections, President Duterte’s priority was still addressing the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
“[The priority] Hasn’t changed. It’s still COVID-19 but what do you do? COVID-19 or not, elections are coming up,” he said.
“Political parties have to prepare and candidates will have to file their certificates of candidacy in the first 10 days of October,” he added.