President Duterte has completed his two-dose vaccination regimen Monday, July 12 against the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
The President received the second shot of the Chinese-made coronavirus vaccine Monday, weeks after he got the first dose. Photos of the 76-year-old President getting vaccinated were shared on Facebook by his former aide and now Senator Christopher Go.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III administered the second dose to the President’s left arm based on the photo posted online.
Minutes later, Presidential spokesman Harry Roque confirmed the President’s vaccination.
“I confirm that PRRD had his second dose of Sinopharm tonight before his meeting with select members of the IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases). Sec Duque administered the jab to the President,” Roque said in a message to reporters.
The President got his first dose of Sinopharm vaccine against COVID-19 on May 3 in a bid to encourage the public to get vaccinated. A few days later, he apologized for getting the unregistered COVID jab and asked China to withdraw the 1,000 vaccines donated to the government.
Duterte however also defended his Sinopharm jab, saying it had been given “compassionate use” and that his doctor recommended the vaccine due to his age. “Well, it’s the decision of my doctor. Anyway, it is my life,” he said in a public address on May 5.
By early June, the country’s Food and Drug Administration issued emergency use authorization for the vaccine developed by the Chinese pharmaceutical firm.