Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque on Tuesday reiterated that existing regulations set by the Inter-Agency Task Force on COVID-19 do not allow the wearing of visor-type face shields while in enclosed public places.
At the Malacañang press briefing, Roque said the correct face shield should cover the entire face, including the sides and the “entire length of the face.”
“Opo, bawal po iyong kalahati. Mayroon pong IATF resolution (Yes, the half-covered is prohibited. There’s an IATF resolution) in this regard, in fact, I quoted it ‘no. Face shields, those visor-type face shields are not allowed. Face shields shall cover the entire face; completely cover the sides and length of the face,” Roque said, noting that this regulation is also in conformity with a Department of Health memorandum circular issued in January 2021.
As specified in the Joint Memorandum Circular 2021-0001 on the Clarificatory Guidelines on the Mandatory Use of Face Shields Outside of Residence for COVID-19 Mitigation released January 2021, the following are the list of places where wearing a face shield is deemed mandatory:
- enclosed public spaces
- commercial establishments such as but not limited to food establishments, malls, and public markets
- public transport and terminals
- places of worship
- other public spaces wherein 1 meter physical distancing is not possible and there is a gathering of more than 10 people at the same venue at the same time.
Health Undersecretary Rosario Vergeire said last week that the wearing of a face shield is necessary if a person is inside a mall or in any indoor or enclosed area or while in a face-to-face meeting inside.
Vergeire said the face shield can be removed if a person is outside where the risk of transmission is very low, especially if one is walking on the street or working outside.
Roque expressed optimism that the government may remove the regulations on the mandatory wearing of the face shields in enclosed or indoor public places once the coronavirus is contained.