Malacañang told members of the political opposition to wait for the elections next year to see if the people will really reject the candidates of the administration.
Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque made the statement after opposition coalition 1Sambayan said the public will reject the Duterte-Duterte consisting of President Duterte and his daughter Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio in the 2022 polls because it is a selfish move that would be done to perpetuate power and will not benefit the people.
In his press briefing on Monday, Roque said the opposition should just wait for the elections to see the real sentiments of the people.
“See you on election day. Taumbayan po ang magdedesisyon diyan (The people will decide on that),” he said.
“Malalaman lang natin ang desisyon ng taumbayan pagkatapos ng eleksyon, kaya dapat magka-eleksyon tayo (We will only know the decision of the public after the election that’s why it’s important that we have one),” he added.
Meanwhile, Roque wondered why the opposition was claiming to be the spokesperson of the people.
“Kung titignan niyo ang surveys, wala pa pong limang porsyento ang hindi sumusuporta sa ating Presidente. So mag-ingat po tayo (If you will look at the surveys, those who do not support the President is only less than five percent of the population),” he said.
“Bagama’t sinasabi nating kayo ay boses ng taumbayan, baka boses lang kayo ng isang barangay (Even though you are saying you are the voice of the people, you may just really be the voice of one barangay),” he added.
Last week, President Duterte’s party PDP-Laban adopted a resolution urging him to run for vice president next year. There has been a clamor for Duterte to run as the vice president of his daughter.
President Duterte served as the vice mayor of Davao City when his daughter was the mayor from 2010 to 2013.