Filipino boxing legend Manny Pacquiao has set sights on the Allegiant Stadium, the 70,000-seat of the NFL’s Las Vegas Raiders, for his much-awaited comeback in August.
“They’re trying to get me into the big [stadium] there, the new one,” Pacquiao told The Athletic as the eight-division world boxing champion announced that he will be fighting unified WBO and IBF welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. on August 21.
The Allegiant Stadium is also home to the Las Vegas football team University of Nevada.
Other reports disclosed, however, that the Pacquiao-Spence will take place at the MGM Grand which is also located in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Should the match push through at the MGM Grand, it would be the 15th time that Pacquiao graces the historic venue.
MGM Grand was witness to Pacquiao’s duels against Keith Thurman, Adrien Broner, Timothy Bradley Jr., Juan Manuel Marquez, and Floyd Mayweather Jr., among others.
Aside from that, this will be the Filipino fighting senator’s third time to fight under the Premier Boxing Champions with the help of Sean Gibbons, president of Manny Pacquiao Promotions, and lawyer Tom Falgui.
Under PBC, Pacquiao had defeated Broner (unanimous decision) and Thurman (split decision) in January and July 2019, respectively, at the MGM Grand.
While the venue has yet to be confirmed, it’s just a matter of time before organizers pick the right venue for the mega-bout amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
And Pacquiao, 42, isn’t fazed at all despite almost two years of hiatus in the boxing ring.
“I’m not worried about [ring rust] because a long layoff is good for me after being in boxing for 25 years before that,” said Pacquiao, who holds a 62-7-2 record on top of 39 knockouts. “It’s good to rest. It’s given my body a chance to recover.”
Spence, 31, for his part, is unbeaten in 27 matches with 21 KOs. His latest win came from Danny Garcia by way of unanimous decision in December last year.