Most patients who have been evacuated following the fire that broke out at the Philippine General Hospital (PGH) early Sunday morning, May 16, already returned to their respective rooms or wards, according to the hospital’s spokesperson.
“Most of the patients po bumalik na nga sa kani-kanilang rooms at wards po, both po yung COVID at non-COVID patients po namin (Most of the patients have returned to their respective rooms and wards, both COVID and non-COVID patients),” Dr. Jonas del Rosario said in an interview with DZBB.
Del Rosario added that PGH transferred 12 newborn babies and several pediatric patients to nearby hospitals.
However, the state-run hospital will not be able to operate patients for one to two days as its operating rooms are still being inspected.
“May ibang pasyente na kailangan nang maoperahan at may ilan pong ospital na nagpahiwatig na tutulungan ang ilan naming pasyente na kailangan nang maoperahan (There are other patients who need surgery and some hospitals have said that they will help some of our patients who need surgery),” he added.
Del Rosario said the fire started at the Operating Room Sterilization Area, which is adjacent to the operating rooms.
The cause of the fire is still unknown. There are no reported casualties or injuries so far.