CEBU CITY – Cebu Governor Gwendolyn Garcia is backing calls to allow the entry of foreign tourists into the province.
Garcia agreed with Lapu-Lapu City Mayor Junard “Ahong” Chan, who previously proposed that foreign tourists who have been fully vaccinated should already be allowed to enter the city.
Garcia said she is willing to sit down with Chan to discuss the matter.
Garcia said before the COVID-19 pandemic struck, Cebu was frequently visited most by tourists from Korea, China and Japan.
The governor said the province can set up a “tourism bubble plan subject to protocols that the province has been implementing.”
“So, why can’t we do the same for other countries that have also been able to manage their COVID system…that have an established COVID management system as what we are showing here in Cebu,” Garcia said.
It can be recalled that during the 500th celebration of the “Kadaugan sa Mactan” last April 27, Chan appealed to Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque to help the city in its plan to start accepting fully vaccinated foreign tourists.
Roque, who attended the celebration, advised Chan to send a letter to Health Secretary Francisco Duque so that the request will be discussed by the Inter-Agency Task Force.