Manila 1st District Representative Manuel Luis Lopez on Thursday, April 22, confirmed that he contracted the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
Lopez made the disclosure as he said he has already recovered from the viral disease.
“As some of you may know, I am a newly-minted COVID-survivor. I know and experienced first hand the difficulty this disease brings to those it afflicts as well as to their family members and loved ones,” Lopez said in his press statement.
Several members of the House of Representatives had been infected with COVID-19, with at least two solons succumbing to the disease last year.
Earlier this month, former House speaker and incumbent Davao del Norte 1st District Representative Pantaleon Alvarez, and Ang Probinsyano Party-list Rep. Alfred delos Santos were reported to have tested positive for COVID-19.
Lopez, for his part, said his experience made him realize the strain and difficulty brought about by the COVID-19 pandemic to health workers.
“Every day they go to work putting at risk their own safety and well-being and that of their families so that they can take care of the sick. We can only imagine the risk, fear and anguish that they unnecessarily have to go through in the performance of their duty. All of us owe our healthcare workers our deepest gratitude,” he said.
He reiterated his appeal to the Department of Health (DOH) to expedite the release of all the mandated benefits of health workers, especially those who have lost their lives in this battle against COVID-19.
He earlier filed House Resolution No. 1704 to look into the compliance of concerned public and private entities in providing health workers their compensation amid the COVID-19 crisis.
Lopez also proposed the establishment of a national monument called the “Bantayog ng mga Bayaning Frontliners (Monument of Frontline Heroes)” to honor COVID-19 frontline workers.