SBP to probe controversial VisMin Cup game

Published April 17, 2021, 1:19 PM

by Jonas Terrado

The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas is looking at imposing sanctions on those involved in a controversial match that rocked the upstart Pilipinas VisMin Super Cup.

SBP president Al Panlilio said he has tasked executive director Sonny Barrios and director for operations Butch Antonio to investigate the incident which players from both ARQ Builders-Lapu-Lapu City and Siquijor deliberately miss their free throws and layups.

“I think from the federation point we can sanction them by maybe suspending players, the team,” Panlilio told former PBA commissioner Noli Eala on his program Power and Play.

“I have to check the (SBP) by-laws, but definitely we will need to sanction them. I just wanna make sure that it’s the right application of our sanctions,” added Panlilio.

League officials had already banned Siqujor along with its players and coaches while several members of Lapu-Lapu were handed fines and suspensions.

The Games and Amusements Board, which granted VisMin professional status, is in the process of completing its own probe.

But the Lapu-Lapu City camp led by team owner Jason Arquisola claimed that it was Siquijor which initiated the farcical moves which raised further speculations of game-fixing.

Lapu-Lapu guard Rendell Senining, who was suspended for the rest of the tournament for his own actions including missing two free throws alternately with left and right hand, atoned for his mistakes but explained that it was made of frustration with Siqujor’s deliberate attempts.

“I was aghast with that incident. I mean, it’s really completely disrespecting the game that a lot of us love,” said Panlilio. “I don’t think that’s their objective. Even FIBA will actually frown on this.”

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["basketball","sports","sports"]
[2677439,2880203,2880178,2880000,2879964,2879947,2879936]