Duterte willing to waive COVID-19 vaccine slot

Published April 13, 2021, 12:09 AM

by Argyll Cyrus Geducos

President Duterte expressed his willingness to give up his slot in the government’s coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination program to anyone who has a better chance of living.

President Rodrigo Roa Duterte

Duterte made the statement as the country continues to vaccinate medical frontliners, senior citizens, and persons with comorbidities against COVID-19.

In his weekly pre-recorded public address, Duterte said he was willing to waive his slot in the vaccination program, saying his age does not make him qualified on the priority list anyway.

“Ako magwi-waive ako. Kung sino ‘yong may gusto sa slot ko, ibigay ko (I can waive my slot and give it to anyone who wants it),” he said Monday evening.

“I am that fatalistic actually… Wala akong masyadong ano diyan sa (I don’t have much) illusions about life and death. If anyone wants to have it, they can have it. We are not in the priority anyway,” he added.

Senior citizens, like the 76-year-old President, are actually a priority in the government’s vaccination program. It is the second priority group after healthcare workers.

According to Duterte, those who have a better shot at living should receive the vaccine first.

“Ang unahin natin ‘yong mabubuhay pa (Let’s prioritize those who will still live long),” the President said.

“Ang unahin natin ‘yong medyo pagka nabigyan ng vaccine (Let’s prioritize those who, when given the vaccine), there’s a chance that he would live and live productively,” he added.

President Duterte said last month that he was willing to be vaccinated because he was going around the country and meeting many people.

He, however, said he was waiting for the vaccine developed by Chinese pharmaceutical firm Sinopharm. 

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news"]
[2673018,2701370,2701362,2701267,2701366,2701353,2701342]