For pursuing a caravan in the city of Manila, convenors of “Run, Sara, Run” movement returned to Davao City with a “surprise welcome” from City Mayor Sara Duterte – a 14-day quarantine.
The order was immediately issued by Duterte to the city’s barangay officials who took part in last week’s “Run, Sara, Run” caravan held March 21 at the Quirino Grandstand, noting the surging cases of COVID-19 in the National Capital Region (NCR) and nearby provinces.
“I told them not to push through with their activity because of the surge of cases in Manila and Cebu and it is very dangerous for them and for the people of Davao City because they might be a possible carrier of the virus,” said Mayor Sara in a radio interview.
Barangay 23-C chairman Alimoden Usman, the campaign convenor, said the March 21 caravan aimed to amplify their calls for Mayor Duterte to run in next year’s presidential race while raising public awareness to gain more support for their advocacy.
“During the weekend, I reached out to them because I cannot stand it anymore. I asked them if they are fine and told them that I will send some assistance for their food and gasoline. I extended my support and told them that they will undergo quarantine when they come home in Davao,” she said.
Duterte, while expressing her opposition to the caravan, admits she was worried about the welfare of the participants.
Barangay Cabantian chairperson Mark Galvez, another campaign organizer, said they believe gathering more supporters would ultimately convince Mayor Sara to “take on the challenge”.
“We might not be able to convince the mayor, but if it is the clamor of the people, I know she will not refuse to run. We want to tell the Filipinos that she has the potential and the most appropriate person to lead the country,” Galvez added.
The group also made it clear that it is not soliciting funds for any of its activities, even if it is voluntarily offered.