K-pop superstars BTS failed to win their first Grammy Award and incensed BTS ARMYs accused the show of being racist.
BTS were nominated for Best Pop Duo/Group Performance for their hit song “Dynamite” at the 63rd Grammy Awards and fans were expecting them to win given the song’s records.
The Grammys announced that “Rain On Me” by Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande won the Best Pop Duo/Group Performance award, triggering a backlash from BTS ARMYs.
Other nominees in the category were “Un Dia (One Day)” by J Balvin, Dua Lipa, Bad Bunny & Tainy; “Intentions” by Justin Bieber featuring Quavo and “Exile” by Taylor Swift featuring Bon Iver.
The hashtag “#scammys” trended on Twitter as fans slammed the Grammys for snubbing BTS for the award.
Here are some of the comments posted on Twitter:
- “racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy racist grammy”
- “DYNAMITE BROKE SO MANY RECORDS AND WON SO MANY AWARDS YALL ROBBED THEM”
- “It was because they korean ain’t it?”
- ”Your xenophobia just keep showing on and on again”
- “His xenophobia is felt up to here see this was a robbery the numbers do not lie”
- “It not make any sence! And You know it. This is discrimination. I love lady gaga and ariana, but they They weren’t close to the records BTS broke #LightItUpBTS”
- “Must be good to be white”
- “WHO REALLY NEEDS WHO?”
- “Bts doesn’t need the grammys but the grammys need bts #scammys”
- “Biggest snubs of the year #scammys”
- “They were robbed by the #scammys”
- “Rain on me? Really? I’d rather drown. Anyway get Dynamite to 1B!! #scammys”
- “Dynamite by BTS topped every chart, broke every record possible, outsold every video, single, performance, and is STILL topping the charts as we speak. anyone can see how absolutely robbed they were of that award. and no i will not pretend it’s okay, it’s not.”
The all-English “Dynamite” was released on Aug. 21, 2020 and debuted at No. 1 on Billboard Hot 100 to in the first week of September to make BTS the first Korean artist to achieve the feat.
In addition, the music video for “Dynamite” became the No. 1 most viewed music video in the first 24 hours of release with 101.1 million.
The “Dynamite” MV set three Guinness World Records: most viewed YouTube video in 24 hours, most viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours and the most viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours by a K-pop group.
The nominations were announced last November and BTS became the first K-pop act to be nominated for a Grammy.
At the 61st Grammy Awards held in February 2019, BTS’ album “Love Yourself: Tear” was nominated in the Craft category Best Recording Package (including album cover, graphic arts and photography) courtesy of art director Doohee Lee.
At the press conference for their “BE (Deluxe Edition)” album last Nov. 20, BTS said they were hoping to get nominated for the Grammy Awards.
“We are very nervous. It will be amazing if we are nominated,” said RM while Jin said a Grammy nomination was what they wanted.
“To be honest, it would be at the Grammys. We reached the top spot on Hot 100. That was amazing. That was an incredible honor. The nominations will be coming out soon and we hope that our name will be called in that nomination,” he said.