Prelate saddened by desecration of religious images in an Albay parish

Published February 24, 2021, 3:19 PM

by Leslie Ann Aquino

Legazpi Bishop Joel Baylon said the vandalism that took place in a parish in Albay was an irresponsible act that could have been done only by people who did not know what they were doing.

Bishop Joel “Bong” Baylon
(MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO)

“I’m really saddened by this unfortunate incident. Although I suspect the culprit(s) didn’t mean to destroy the images because they are still intact, still it’s a most irresponsible act, which could only have been done by people who were not in their right mind,” Baylon said in an interview Wednesday, Feb. 24.

“I pray that such acts of vandalism won’t happen again,” he added.

Baylon expressed hope that those behind the act will relaize the wrong they have done.

“I pray for those who did it to realize the wrong they have done, whether it was intentional or not. Were they under they influence of  alcohol or illegal drugs?” he said.

“May they feel and acknowledge at least some sense of responsibility for what they have done,” added Baylon.

According to a report, religious images displayed outside the Parish of St. Padre Pio in Albay were destroyed by unknown individuals earlier this week. 

Just recently some chapels in Basilan were also desecrated.

Bishop Leo Dalmao of Isabela prelature, however, urged the faithful not to allow the attacks to sow division and hatred.

“I remind everyone to be vigilant and refuse any opportunity for these bad elements to succeed in sowing division and hatred among us,” he said in a statement.

“We will not allow ourselves to be dictated by the agenda of these people and we don’t want to dignify their actions by giving them and their actions undue attention and publicity,” Dalmao added.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["faith","news","news"]
[2630820,2841602,2841596,2841593,2841575,2841585,2841578]