Will number coding scheme return amid planned MGCQ shift? Abalos answers

Published February 21, 2021, 5:25 PM

by Ellson Quismorio

The Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) will keep the number coding scheme suspended for the foreseeable future. 

(JANSEN ROMERO / MANILA BULLETIN)

Thus, said MMDA Chairman Benhur Abalos amid very serious discussions within the Metro Manila Council (MMC) to shift lockdown protocols from the current general community quarantine (GCQ) to the less stringent modified GCQ (MGCQ).

“Hindi pa po (ibabalik) dahil hindi pa po normal ang ating public transport at gusto po nating makatulong sa publiko (We’re still not bringing it back because public transport still hasn’t normalized and we want to help the public),” Abalos said in an interview over DZBB radio Sunday, Feb. 21.

“So huwag ho kayong mag-alala, hangga’t kaya namin yung maximum, gagawin po namin ito para sa ikabubuti ng lahat (So don’t worry, we will handle it up to our maximum capacity and we will do it for the benefit of all), stressed the former Mandaluyong City mayor.

The number coding scheme is also known as the Unified Vehicular Volume Reduction Program (UVVRP). As the name implies, it is a scheme used for the purpose of lessening traffic on roads by barring for one day each week a group of vehicles based on the last digit of their license plate. 

It was lifted at the height of last year’s enhanced community quarantine (ECQ), which led to the temporary stoppage of all modes of public transportation. 

Last week, Abalos said that most of the 17-member MMC voted in favor of the shift to MGCQ. The vote was reportedly a close one at 9-8, but the MMDA has neither denied nor confirmed this.

The MMC is composed of the 17 mayors of the National Capital Region.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2627871,2677098,2677095,2677083,2677078,2677074,2677072]