Prince Harry, Meghan Markle expecting second child

Published February 15, 2021, 5:49 AM

by Agence-France-Presse

LONDON, United Kingdom – Britain’s Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle are expecting their second child, their spokesman said in a Valentine’s Day announcement on Sunday.

(FILES) In this file photo taken on November 27, 2017 Britain's Prince Harry and his fiancée US actress Meghan Markle pose for a photograph in the Sunken Garden at Kensington Palace in west London on November 27, 2017, following the announcement of their engagement. - Prince Harry and wife Meghan blamed "viper" courtiers' for widening their rift with the royal family, according to extracts from a new book published in The Times on Saturday. (Photo by Daniel LEAL-OLIVAS / AFP)
Britain’s Prince Harry and wife Meghan Markle (AFP FILE/ MANILA BULLETIN)

The couple released a black and white image of them under a tree, all smiles, with Markle showing signs of pregnancy.

“We can confirm that Archie is going to be a big brother,” the spokesman said, referring to the couple’s son. “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are overjoyed to be expecting their second child.”

Meghan and Harry 36, who is Queen Elizabeth II’s grandson, quit frontline royal duties in March last year and now live in California.

The news follows Markle’s disclosure in The New York Times in November that she had suffered a miscarriage in July.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: ”Her Majesty, Duke of Edinburgh, Prince of Wales and the entire family are delighted and wish them well.”

Misan Harriman, a friend of the couple who took the photograph they released, wrote on Twitter: ”Meg, I was there at your wedding to witness this love story begin, and my friend, I am honoured to capture it grow.”

The couple’s departure last year –dubbed ”Megxit” by the British press – was a far cry from 2018, when they married in a ceremony at Windsor Castle watched around the world.

The mood soured as reports circulated about a rift between Harry and his brother Prince William, second in line to the throne.

Since leaving, they have launched several legal cases against news outlets alleging invasion of privacy — including one that ended on Thursday with a victory against Associated Newspapers in the UK.

Last year they launched a non-profit organization, Archewell, after giving up a ”Sussex Royal” brand as part of the terms of their departure from frontline royal duties.

They have started other ventures, including signing a deal with Spotify to produce podcasts that tell ”uplifting and entertaining stories”.

The couple also signed a contract, reportedly worth tens of millions of dollars with streaming giant Netflix to produce ”impactful” films and series.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","world","news"]
[2621292,2912096,2912092,2912086,2912083,2912067,2912070]