Hundreds of residents of Barangay North Bay Boulevard (NBBS) South in Navotas City scrambled out of their homes Wednesday afternoon after an ammonia leak occurred in the area.
A video uploaded on Facebook by a certain Gary Española showed residents running in panic as they tried to leave the area. Most of them were seen covering their noses while others were choking.
Española also said some residents already fainted while their dogs’ mouths were frothing.
According to Mayor Toby Tiangco, the leak came from the T.P. Marcelo Ice Plant and Cold Storage, which started around 4:19 p.m.
Tiangco, in an interview over DZBB, said the ice plant is owned by his mother. Nevertheless, he said, he would order its closure for investigation.
This is the second ammonia leak reported in the area since the start of the year. The first one occurred at Magsimpan Ice Plant around 11:28 p.m. on January 20, prompting residents to call for the company’s accountability over the incident.
Española, in his 30-minute Facebook video, said they ran toward Manila Bay, where the leak was barely felt, to avoid further exposure.
He added that he was already experiencing an eye sore and several rescuers washed their faces with vinegar.
Currently, residents are barred from returning to the area.