Justice Secretary Menardo I. Guevarra expressed confidence Sunday that government prosecutors will secure a conviction against Police Master Sgt. Jonel M. Nuezca for the cold-blooded murder of a mother and her son in Paniqui, Tarlac last Dec. 20.
Government prosecutors recommended no bail for Nuezca before the Paniqui Regional Trial Court (RTC) for the killing of Sonia Gregorio, 55, and her son, Frank Anthony, 25.
The Paniqui RTC Branch 67, presided by Judge Bernar Dungo Fajardo based on the Supreme Court’s (SC) list of judges, is expected to conduct its first on the case Monday.
“Our prosecutors are waiting for the court’s order setting the arraignment of the accused (Nuezca), subject to the court’s calendar,” Guevarra said.
“We intend to terminate this case and obtain a conviction for double murder as quickly as possible,” he said.
The criminal charge sheet filed with the RTC stated that Sonia was shot twice at the back of her head. The first shot was fired “while the victim as embracing her son and the second shot was made when she already fell on the ground.”
In the case of Frank Anthony, the charge sheet stated that he was shot “at his head, while defenseless as he was then being embraced by his mother.”
In a resolution, government prosecutors said:
“Upon determination of the validity of respondent’s arrest, the inquest proceeding ensued based on the affidavits and supporting documents and evidence submitted, there is probable cause to charge the respondent for two counts of murder.”
Guevarra had earlier said that the Department of Justice (DoJ) “will closely monitor developments in this case and ensure that justice is done.”