ILOILO CITY—The local government here has issued a warning that more pregnant women were getting infected with coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the city.
Jeck Conlu, spokesman of the city government on COVID-19, said that at least nine pregnant women have tested positive in results released Monday.
Conlu said that Taft North village in Mandurriao district has two of the seven COVID-19 cases of pregnant women. One was an 18-year-old, and the other was 21 years old.
Other expectant mothers infected with COVID-19 were a 21-year-old from Jaro district, a 22-year-old from Lapuz district, 23-year-old from Jaro district, a 27-year-old from Lapuz district, a 30-year-old from La Paz district, a 33-year-old from Jaro, and a 38-year-old from La Paz district.
Conlu reiterated that pregnant women were being prioritized for COVID-19 testing as most hospitals in the city require a negative test result prior to being admitted to give birth.
This was even as the Western Visayas regional office of the Department of Health (DOH-6) previously said there was no need for COVID-19 testing for expectant mothers.
Meanwhile, several barangays (villages) have been on surgical lockdown since Monday night after registering more than three COVID-19 cases.