DOLE suspends work on Skyway Extension project in Muntinlupa after fatal incident

Published November 23, 2020, 3:44 PM

by Leslie Ann Aquino

The Department of Labor and Employment on Monday issued a work stoppage order for the Skyway Extension Project. 

(Jansen Romero / MANILA BULLETIN)

This is in relation to the accident that occurred on November 21, 2020 at the north-bound Skyway Extension Project in Muntinlupa City.

According to DOLE, the accident is a manifestation of grave and imminent danger not only to the safety and health of the workers but also to the general public within the vicinity of the construction site as well.

A crane used in the Skyway Extension Project in Muntinlupa City tilted and fell, leaving one person dead and at least six others injured. 


“In view of the gravity of the presumptive negligence of the contractor, this supplemental work stoppage order is issued to stop the construction activity not only affected area but also in the entire Skyway Extension Project, Sucat- Alabang Viaduct,” Atty. Sarah Mirasol, NCR Regional Director, said in the order.

She said the order takes effect immediately.

Earlier in the day, the DOLE directed the EEI Corporation Skyway Extension Project through Mr. Jose Ilagan and sub-contractors to immediately “stop the construction activity in the affected area of the construction site of the said project.”

“The representatives of the aforecited establishment and sub contractors are directed to attend the hearing on November 24 at 10 a.m. at MUNTAPARLAS FIELD OFFICE, 3/F, Valenzuela Building, Alabang-Zapote Road, Pamplona 3. Las Pinas City to determine the propriety of having this Work Stoppage Order lifted or not,” said Mirasol.

DOLE Spokesman Rolly Francia explained that Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III ordered the issuance of a Work Stoppage Order (WSO) for the entire stretch of the Skyway Extension Project. 


“The Secretary is concerned that if the stoppage only covered a specific area, a similar incident may happen in another portion of the project. That is what we want to prevent. That is why the Secretary wanted the whole stretch covered,” he said in a forum.

He added that the suspension will last until the investigation of the incident is completed.

Article 128 of the Labor Code provides that the Secretary of Labor may likewise order stoppage of work or suspension of operations of any unit or department of an establishment when non compliance with the law or implementing rules and regulation poses grave and imminent danger to the health and safety of workers in the workplace. 

It said within 24 hours, a hearing shall be conducted to determine whether an order for the stoppage of work or suspension of operations shall be lifted or not. In case the violation is attributed to the fault of the employer he shall pay the employees concerned their salaries or wages during the period of such stoppage of work or suspension of operation.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2555583,3061905,3061882,3061851,3061831,3061817,3061814]