Do not use generator sets indoors or in enclosed areas as this may lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, the Department of Health (DOH) reminded the public.
“Don’t put it in enclosed settings like inside your homes,” said Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire in a press briefing on Monday, Nov. 16.
Vergeire said that generators sets should be placed 20 feet away from the house.
“Kung sakaling kailangan gumamit ng generator during these times of calamities, maaari lang po na huwag na ilagay sa loob ng bahay dahil ito ay nakakapag-cause ng harm sa ating kababayan (If it’s necessary to use generators during these times of calamities, it’d be best to not put these indoors since they can cause harm),” she said.
DOH-Calabarzon Director Eduardo Janairo said generators “produce carbon monoxide gas, which is colorless and odorless, and kills without warning when inhaled at high levels.”
“Be sure that your unit is placed at least 20 feet away from your house, away from your windows and doors to avoid the gas getting into your home,” said Janairo.
“Also, check your sets for any leaks on its exhaust system and make sure it is properly maintained before using it. Always read the manual and follow the safety precautions listed,” he added.
“For those using generators at home and are experiencing headache, dizziness, shortness of breath, confusion, and vomiting, please proceed to the nearest health facility for consultation,” he furthered.
Janairo also warned individuals not to use their vehicles as a portable aircon room.
“Please do not sleep inside your vehicles as this is also dangerous to your health for it also emits carbon monoxide and you can be at risk of inhaling it,” he said.