Palace admits PRC halt in COVID testing might have contributed to decline in PH coronavirus cases
The temporary halt in the state-funded coronavirus testing by the Philippine Red Cross might have contributed to the decline in the country's cases of coronavirus in recent weeks, Malacañang admitted on Wednesday.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque recognized that if fewer people get tested for the coronavirus, it could lead to fewer numbers of infections reported.
The Department of Health (DOH) recently reported a drop in the country's new coronavirus cases in recent weeks. From an average of 2,517 daily cases reported four weeks ago, the number fell by 25 percent or to 1,887 cases per day in the past two weeks.
“I am sure somehow the action of PRC in stopping its testing somehow contributed because less testing of course means less numbers," Roque said over CNN Philippines Wednesday.
The Red Cross recently stopped the coronavirus testing charged to the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) for its failure to pay its outstanding debts. The state health firm has so far given a partial payment to Red Cross, prompting the resumption of the tests usually conducted on returning overseas Filipino workers, government workers, and health workers, among others.
Although the Red Cross testing may be a factor to the decrease in COVID cases, Roque credited the public for their cooperation in observing health protocols to curb the spread of the coronavirus.
"By and large, people have been compliant with minimum health standards," he said.
He said the President has also appeared in a government infomercial reminding the public to wear a mask, frequently wash hands, and observe physical distancing.
“I think people know by now what to do to prevent the further spread of the disease and they have been cooperating," he said.
"People know that they need to observe minimum health standards so that they can go back to work and earn their livelihood," he added.
As of November 3, the country has recorded 387,161 cases of the coronavirus disease as the government moved to ease the lockdown measures to stimulate business activity and employment. The death toll reached 7,318 while the recoveries stood at 348,967.