The government has appealed to the public to show the bayanihan spirit and help communities recover from the onslaught of typhoon Rolly.
Presidential spokesman Harry Roque made the appeal even as the government continued to provide food packs, medicines, and other relief goods as well as clear the roads of debris in typhoon-hit areas.
“The Executive Department is continuing the disaster relief efforts to aid those greatly affected by super typhoon Rolly,” he said in a statement.
“All hands are indeed on deck as we mobilize our resources to assist those greatly affected by the typhoon. We ask the public to help in any way they can and demonstrate the Filipino bayanihan spirit in this time of need,” he added.
Roque said P18.2 million worth of relief aid have so far been given to calamity areas by the Department of Social Welfare and Development, local government units, and non-government organizations. Around 188,417 persons are taking shelter at evacuation centers.
Roque said the Department of Health extended P540,440 worth of hygiene kits and collapsible water drinking containers as well as P402,741 worth of medicines for local government units.
Energy authorities are also trying to restore power in areas struck by the typhoon last weekend. Roque said the Department of Energy has deployed Task Force Kapatid with Region 8 Electric Cooperatives and Task Force Kapatid Isabela Electric Cooperative 2 (ISELCO) to the Bicol Region and Marinduque, respectively, Wednesday to assess the situation and bring back power.
So far, Roque said all airports and seaports are now open based on the report of the Department of Transportation. The Philippine Coast Guard will bring around 60 tons of relief goods and supplies aboard BRP Gabriela Silang to Virac, Catanduanes on Thursday.
He said the Department of Public Works and Highways has also cleared 26 road sections.
Typhoon Rolly unleashed its fury on Bicol region and other parts of Luzon Sunday, leaving more than 20 people dead and damaging houses, infrastructure and crops.