ILOILO CITY—The Department of Health (DOH) recorded a 93-percent drop in the number of mosquito-borne disease dengue cases in Western Visayas region.
DOH-6 Chief Epidemiologist Dr. Jessie Glen Alonsabe said there were only 3,675 cases of dengue recorded from January 1 to October 17.
In comparison, DOH-6’s Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit recorded 54,002 dengue cases for the same period of last year.
This was a welcome development for officials and health professionals in Western Visayas region as it was initially worried of another dengue outbreak while also addressing the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
“Dengue has a cycle. We already had an outbreak last year so it was unlikely that there will still be an outbreak this year,” Alonsabe told The Manila Bulletin in an interview Tuesday, November 3
Of all areas, Negros Occidental province had the most number of dengue cases this year with 1,201. It is followed by Iloilo province with 648 dengue cases.
There were also 494 dengue cases in Aklan province, 406 in Antique province, 346 in Capiz province, 231 cases in Iloilo City, 219 cases in Bacolod City, and 91 cases in Guimaras.
DOH-6’s RESU also recorded 39 other dengue cases of non-residents while they were in Western Visayas.
While there was a significant drop of dengue cases, Alonsabe warned the public not to be complacent. He reiterated the need to clean to always clean surroundings that would prevent dengue-carrier mosquitoes from breeding.
Alonsabe warned that prevention was the key, especially the challenges of hospitals and other health facilities in dispensing services due to COVID-19.