Palace denies gap in ‘Rolly’ info

Published November 2, 2020, 1:31 PM

by Argyll Cyrus Geducos

Malacañang said Monday there was no vacuum in the dissemination of information before and while the country was experiencing the wrath of typhoon “Rolly,” saying there are enough media organizations working on updating the people about the situation.

Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque (RESIDENTIAL PHOTO / MANILA BULLETIN)

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque made the statement after Filipinos online said the rejection of ABS-CBN franchise renewal left a gap on information dissemination in the country, noting that the organization had a wider reach due to its regional offices.

Roque said he does not think there was an information gap during the onslaught of Rolly.

“Nagbibigay-pugay po tayo lalung-lalo na sa mga PTV reporters, sa PIA (Philippine Information Agency). Gumagana po ‘yung communication infrastructure ng gobyerno sa panahon ng aberya (We salute our PTV reporters and the PIA. The government’s communication infrastructure was working during the typhoon),” he said.

“Sa tingin ko po wala namang (I don’t think there was a) vacuum,” he added.

The Palace official said private media organizations were also working to give the public updates about the typhoon.

“Nandiyan po ang TV5; nandiyan po ang GMA-7; at nandiyan po ang mga matatapang at magagaling, masisipag na reporters ng radyo (There is TV5, GMA-7, and the brave and hardowrking radio reporters),” he said.

“So sa tingin ko naman po wala pong nagkaroon na (So that’s why I don’t think there was a) communication vacuum,” he added.

ABS-CBN was forced to go off free TV in May following the expiration of its franchise. In July, the House of Representative flat-out rejected the company’s application for a new franchise.

The media giant returned to free TV only last month following a blocktime agreement with ZOE TV.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["national","news","news"]
[2538719,2914334,2914328,2914331,2914301,2914298,2913736]