Iloilo City mayor lashes at Locsin for online tirade

Published September 28, 2020, 11:49 AM

by Tara Yap

ILOILO CITY – Mayor Jerry Treñas of Iloilo City fired back at the online criticism hurled by Foreign Affairs Secretary Teodoro “Teddy Boy” Locsin Jr. with profanity-laced tirades Monday, September 28.

Mayor Jerry Treñas of Iloilo City (Tara Yap/Manila Bulletin)
Mayor Jerry Treñas of Iloilo City (Tara Yap/Manila Bulletin)

“This Teddy Boy Locsin is full of sh-t. Unfortunately here in Iloilo City, we will not allow him to give us sh-t. He should give it to himself and eat it,” an irate Treñas said in a Monday morning interview with Bombo Radyo Iloilo.

“Wala na siya pulos nga sekretaryo. Daw naka drugs na siya (He is a useless secretary. He is like high on drugs,),” Treñas said while using additional profanity words in the Hiligaynon language.

“Who is he?  What has he done to the city? What has his done to the country? He has not done anything [that merits he can dictate us],” Treñas added.

Treñas also challenged Locsin to come to Iloilo City for a fist fight.

The city mayor’s statement Monday was a complete turnaround from the series of statements released Sunday night as a response to the now-deleted tweet of Locsin, who reacted to a news article that cited Treñas on the rising number of locally transmitted cases of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in the city.

“How come Treñas can blame constituents of carelessness, of being pasaway—that ugly word— and get away with it? Because of opposition hypocrisy.” Locsin said in a September 27 tweet.

“I have not blamed my constituents since we continue to look for ways to flatten the curve. It is unfortunate that in the midst of pandemic, you still claim political sides,” Treñas responded.

“Life is what we experience it, not [with] your cellphone for Twitter or Facebook,” Treñas added.

Locsin’s tweet stemmed from a news article that the Iloilo City government was set to ask the national government’s task force this Monday to approve the request to revert back to general community quarantine (GCQ) status just days after its request for modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) was approved.

Based on Department of Health (DOH-6) data, there were 2,122 COVID-19 cases as of September 26.  At least a thousand new COVID-19 cases were recorded for the past week-and-a-half.

Prior to a series of posts concerning Locsin’s tweet, Treñas issued a public apology for the inconsistencies made on the city’s quarantine status after COVID-19 cases exploded again last week.

“I am sorry I failed all of you. As the leader, I know that ultimately the buck stops with me,” Treñas said Sunday.

The city mayor was under fire when he requested the national government for MECQ last September 24. But he tweaked the national government’s policies on MECQ by allowing public transportation and certain businesses to operate while not implementing border restrictions.

The abrupt September 24 decision for an MECQ status was triggered by the emergence of more than 30 new COVID-19 cases at the treasurer’s office of the city government. 

Now, there are more than 60 positive cases that included a city councilor and several department heads of the city government.

Before the latest outbreak, several city hall employees expressed their fears of mass transmission of COVID-19 as they felt that health protocols were not being fully implemented in the seat of power of the city government, including physical distancing and a poor ventilating system.

Meanwhile, Treñas assured the city government was exploring all options on how to best combat the rising number of COVID-19 cases.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","provincial","visayas","news"]
[2469862,2563267,2563262,2563258,2563254,2563242,2563239]