UAAP: Former UST Tigers coach Aldin Ayo set to appeal indefinite ban

Published September 11, 2020, 10:01 PM

by Kristel Satumbaga-Villar

Aldin Ayo
Former UST Tigers coach Aldin Ayo (UAAP Images)

Former University of Santo Tomas men’s basketball team coach Aldin Ayo is reportedly appealing his indefinite ban from the UAAP in the wake of the Sorsogon training bubble controversy.

In a statement released Friday night, the multi-titled mentor said “the indefinite ban imposed by the UAAP Board against me is not appropriate under the circumstances.”

“I will seek a reconsideration of such action,” he wrote.

Last Wednesday, the UAAP Board of Trustees composed of Presidents from eight member universities ratified the decision of the Board of Managing Directors to ban Ayo indefinitely for “endangering the health and well-being of the student athletes under his charge when he conducted the training during a government-declared state of public emergency intended to arrest the COVID-19 outbreak.”

READ: CHED on UST bubble: It’s clear there was really training done in Sorsogon

The indefinite ban means Ayo is prohibited from participating in any capacity in all UAAP events and UAAP-sanctioned activities.

Ayo has already accepted responsibility for his actions by stepping down from his post last week.

Aldin Ayo statement appeal

“I have realized that no matter how driven and well-meaning you want to be, things just mess up. It gets you humbled, humiliated even, and we learn to painfully accept to just let things be,” said Ayo in his latest statement.

“However, to quote a Scottish proverb: ‘I am wounded, but not slain. So, lay me low to bleed awhile, then I shall rise…’ to coach again!”

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["basketball","sports","sports"]
[2422352,3000451,3000430,3000441,3000378,3000282,3000291]