MECQ throws off Jerwin Ancajas, Eumir Marcial US trips

Published August 3, 2020, 5:07 PM

by Nick Giongco

jerwin ancajas eumir marcial
World champion Jerwin Ancajas and Olympic fighter Eumir Marcial (File Photos)

The government’s decision to reimpose Moderate Enhanced Community Quarantine to the National Capital Region and neighboring provinces is going to push back the target departure date of two Filipino fighters bound for the US.

World champion Jerwin Ancajas and Olympic fighter Eumir Marcial were being eyed to book tickets for Los Angeles by MP Promotions president Sean Gibbons, who is lining up key fights for the two on American soil.

READ: Freddie Roach-Eumir Felix Marcial teamup could happen

Ancajas, the reigning International Boxing Federation (IBF) super-flyweight titlist, has been programmed by Top Rank to make the ninth defense of the 115-lb crown against Mexican Jonathan Rodriguez in September.

The key was to bring Ancajas to the US the soonest so Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum can assign a date.

Ancajas is ready to fly but since the US Embassy’s visa section remains closed, the boxer has no other option but wait until it opens for business.

Joven Jimenez, who trains and manages Ancajas, says there’s nothing he can do about the latest lockdown measure.

“Basta tuloy-tuloy lang ensayo naming dito sa Navy headquarters sa Cavite City,” said Jimenez. “Ang importante ay nag-eensayo si Jerwin at laging handa.”

READ: Boxing champ Jerwin Ancajas: In the Navy

As for Marcial, who Gibbons signed to a lucrative deal last month, the situation is no different.

Gibbons is planning to set up a fight for Marcial’s professional debut sometime in October.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["boxing","sports","sports"]
[2082774,2602389,2602377,2602262,2602209,2602175,2602143]