After 37 years, Shangri-La Finest Chinese Cuisine closes down

Published July 23, 2020, 2:34 PM

by John Legaspi

The restaurant is among the many businesses that are closing down due to the pandemic.

A popular dining spot in Quezon City, restaurant Shangri-La Finest Chinese Cuisine announces that it will be closing its doors after 37 years of legacy. 

“It is with great sadness that we are announcing that effective Aug. 1, 2020, Shangri-La Finest Chinese Cuisine will cease its operations, due for the most part to the challenges brought about by the ongoing pandemic, which has plagued not only our country, but the entire world as well,” the restaurant management says in a post. “We will cease operations but the memories we had with you will be embedded in our hearts and minds.”

To our loyal customers and valued clients:Shangri-La Finest Chinese Cuisine is extending our utmost thanks to all of…

Shangrila Finest Chinese Cuisine Restaurant 发布于 2020年7月21日周二

Established in 1981 by businessman Ramon Syhunliong, the restaurant was named “Shangri-La,” hailed from a destination in James Hilton‘s 1993 novel Lost Horizon, to describe the place as “a utopian sanctuary where one finds inner peace, love, fulfilment, and longevity.”

“I want them to experience the utopian feeling of happiness like you’d never want to get out of Shangri-La,” Ramon said. Since then, it has been the place of choice for many Filipino families to celebrate special occasions. 

It has also served a number of notable personalities throughout its history such as former President Cory Aquino and former first lady Imelda Marcos. In 1995, the restaurant had the honor of feeding Pope John Paul II when he visited the country for World Youth Day. The restaurant is also best remembered for its annual Chinese New Year festivities.

In the past months, Shangri-La Finest Chinese Cuisine has tried to sustain its business by offering take-away meals to its patrons. Last June, it opened its doors again for dine-in operations after passing the health and safety check done by the Quezon City government.

The restaurant is among the many businesses that are closing down due to the pandemic, alongside Polilya in Poblacion, Manila’s The Oasis Paco Park Hotel, Cubao’s Today x Future, and more recently, Kidzania Manila.

“We would not be this successful, if not for all of you who celebrated your great moments, achievements, and even your simple get-together with us,” it said. “Deeply, we are moved by your support and loyalty to Shangri-La Finest Chinese Cuisine.”

Shangri-La Finest Chinese Cuisine will be open for dine-in and take-out until July 31.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["food","lifestyle","lifestyle"]
[2039014,2556046,2556055,2550366,2556036,2556023,2556028]