Robredo asks DepEd to re-assess readiness for August 24 school reopening
The Department of Education (DepEd) needs to make a “honest” assessment on whether or not the country is ready for distance learning, Vice President Leni Robredo said on Wednesday.

Robredo said the assessment to be made by DepEd is necessary for Congress to amend the law moving the school opening later than August 24.
Under Republic Act No. 7797 “An Act to Lengthen the School Calendar from Two Hundred (200) Days to Not More Than Two Hundred Twenty (220) Class Days,” the school year shall “start on the first Monday of June but not later than the last day of August.”
“Gagawin kasi iyon ng Congress kung ang DepEd iyong nagsabi na hindi pa handa. Kapag sinabi kasi ng DepEd na handang handa kami, hindi mag-a-amend iyong Congress (Congress will only do that if it is the DepEd that said we are not ready. If the DepEd said we are really ready, Congress will not amend it),” she said over DYHP-RMN Cebu.
The Vice President said the DepEd should consider moving the Aug. 24 class opening to a later date when all the schools are prepared for the new system of learning.
Robredo reiterated she spoke with a group of teachers who lamented they are not yet ready for the opening of classes.
“Ang hinihingi lang natin honest assessment ng DepEd kung ready na ba talaga (What we are asking is a honest assessment from the DepEd if we are really ready),” she said.
The DepEd had already announced the upcoming school year would start on August 24 until April 30 with schools adopting blended and distant learning due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The department is pushing for information communication technology (ICT) platforms, television, and radio in delivering the lessons for students.
Robredo said the DepEd should take into consideration the public schools in the poorest and farthest communities across the country in making its assessment.
“Dapat iyong primary consideration natin iyong ating mga estudyante, ano ba iyong sitwasyon na hindi naman sila madedehado. Ang worry ko kapag pinilit ito ng August, pwedeng marami ang hindi makasabay (Our primary consideration should be the students, what would be their situation that they won’t find themselves at disadvantage. My worry is they won’t be able to keep up when it’s forced in August),” she said.