Department of Tourism (DOT) Secretary Bernadette Romulo-Puyat said on Monday that more restaurants in Metro Manila are seeking accreditation from the Department of Tourism (DOT) to be able to operate under the “new normal.”
Data from the DOT shows that as of July 2, there were already 155 restaurants accredited by the tourism department in the National Capital Region (NCR) alone. The now accredited restaurants almost doubled the 78 recorded during the previous year.
“We are seeing the number of establishments applying for DOT-accreditation go up. It acts as a ‘seal of good housekeeping’ since they have to comply with stringent health and safety protocols. For restaurants, it tells customers that it is safe to dine out again,” Puyat said.
Among the Metro Manila restaurants accredited by DOT for the first time are Corazon, Crisostomo, Cocina de la Abuela, Din Tai Fung, Hawker Chan, Kam’s Roast, Manam, Myron’s, Pound, Sunnies Café, The Flying Pan, The French Baker, Tim Ho Wan, Wildflour, and 121 Restaurant.
With the ongoing global health crisis, the DOT already waived the application fees for the accreditation until the end of the year to aid tourism players.
Puyat, along with Department and Trade and Industry (DTI) Secretary Ramon Lopez, inspected last week selected hotels and restaurants in the cities of Pasig and Mandaluyong in preparation for Metro Manila's transition to modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
“The DOT has been working with government agencies like DTI in streamlining the application processes and requirements, and providing any assistance that establishments like restaurants may need to ease into resuming business during the pandemic,” Puyat added.
The DTI chief had earlier said that they are also eyeing to propose an increased operational capacity of restaurants when Metro Manila’s general community quarantine (GCQ) status remains beyond July 15 to generate more jobs and to restart the country's economy.