The incident where several pro and amateur players took part in a five-on-five game prohibited under the current community quarantine regulations should serve as a cautionary tale for the PBA even after it was granted the green light by the Inter-Agency Task Force to resume practices.
Barangay Ginebra San Miguel’s Japeth Aguilar and Rain or Shine rookie Adrian Wong are set to meet PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial on Monday to explain their part in a pickup game alongside Thirdy Ravena and Isaac Go which was seen in a since-deleted social media video.
Under the approved guidelines, teams can practice in batches composed of five persons each under the current General Community Quarantine rules imposed in Metro Manila and 10 in areas under a Modified General Community Quarantine.
But concerns over possibly breaching those protocols surfaced after the said five-on-five game participated by Aguilar and others.
At least one team manager, however, has expressed commitment that protocols will be strictly followed.
“We will strictly adhere and follow the regulations,” said TNT KaTropa team manager Gabby Cui.
Marcial is set to meet with coaches and team managers on July 10 to discuss in detail the guidelines. The PBA chief and deputy commissioner Eric Castro had earlier discussed the protocols with player representatives from all 12 teams last June 23.
The same group of players expressed commitment to return to practice whenever the PBA sets a target date.
No target date has been set by the league but most members of the PBA community said the IATF approval gives a ray of hope that the league’s 45th season can resume later this year.
The league is set to decide on the fate of the suspended season next month.