By Niño N. Luces
CAMP OLA, Albay – The number of crime incidents in Bicol region went down by 84.31 percent since the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) was implemented on March 17 as a precautionary measure to prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
Police Regional Office 5 (PRO-5 Director Brigadier General Anthony S Alcañeses said that, based on records, only eight incidents happened from March 17 to 21 in the region, representing an 84.31-percent slump from the 51 incidents recorded in the same period last year.
Alcañeses said that the downtrend can be attributed to the strict implementation of the quarantine, along with the different police operations being undertaken by regional police office against persons who might take advantage of the situation.
The recorded incidents during the period were two rape cases in Albay and Masbate, one homicide and four physical injury cases in Camarines Sur, and a case for theft in Naga City.
“PNP Bicol remains resolute in performing its duties to ensure peace and order in the community amid the threats of COVID-19,” Alcañeses said.
Also based on the record, at least 13 individuals have been arrested for resisting or disobedience at the check-points during the implementation of ECQ from March 18 to March 21.
Meanwhile, in Masbate City, a police officer was apprehended by barangay officials in Masbate City for being disobedient while under the ECQ.
The police officer was also under the influence of liquor.