By Leslie Ann Aquino
There is now full deployment of Overseas Filipino Workers to Kuwait.
This, after the Department of Labor and Employment announced on Friday that the ban on household service workers has been “lifted.”
Based on POEA governing board resolution no. 7 approved on February 13, the government will now resume processing and deployment of all types of workers bound to the Gulf estate.
Bello, who chairs the POEA governing board, said the approval was made in view of the filing of charges against the suspected killers of OFW Jeanelyn Padernal Villavende.
“After due consultation with the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and with the filing of appropriate charges against the perpetrators [in the killing] of OFW Jeanelyn Villavende, the Governing Board of the POEA unanimously approved the lifting of the remaining ban in Kuwait with respect to the deployment of household workers,” he said in a statement.
It was last month when the government imposed the total deployment ban of OFWs to Kuwait following the death of Villavende there.
The findings of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) revealed that Villavende was sexually abused and brutally murdered.
Last week, the labor chief announced the partial lifting of the deployment ban of Filipino workers to Kuwait with newly hired and returning domestic workers still being covered by the ban.
Bello cited the recent signing of the harmonized standardized employment contract for HSW as reason for the partial lifting.
He said the standardized contract of employment will ensure the welfare and protection of OFWs in the gulf state.
The salient provisions of the standard employment contract include prohibition for employers to keep any of the worker’s personal identity documents such as passport, and the entitlement of a worker to own a phone and use it outside the working hours provided that she keeps the secrets and privacy of the household, and use such phone in a manner consistent with public morals to mention a few.
According to DOLE, more than 50 percent of close to 250,000 documented workers in Kuwait are household workers.