By Raymund Antonio
As an active campaigner for the opposition "Otso Diretso" slate, Vice President Leni Robredo said they would have to exert "extra effort" to counter the strategy of their opponents in the May 13 elections.
Robredo made the statement after the latest Pulse Asia survey showed that even reelectionist Senator Bam Aquino and former Interior secretary Mar Roxas, Otso Diretso's known candidates, were not part of the "Magic 12."
Vice President Leni Robredo (center) with Otso Diretso senatorial bets (Otso Direstso / MANILA BULLETIN)
"Ginagawa naman namin pero admittedly mahirap talaga—mahirap in the sense na walang resources iyong Otso Diretso," she said in Kalibo, Aklan on the sidelines of the launch of her "Ahon Laylayan" coalition.
(We are doing everything, but admittedly it's really hard--in the sense that Otso Diretso has no resources.)
"Talagang tumitiyaga kami sa tao-tao, sa bayan-bayan. Makakatulong sanang malaki iyong TV ads, iyong radio ads, kaya lang pasulpot-sulpot din kasi talagang sobrang mahal," she added.
(We are really working hard to reach people, every municipality. The TV and radio ads could be a big help, but these are just rarely shown because it's very expensive.)
Roxas' ranking in the March 23-27 survey, was 11th to 17th with a 31.3 percent voter support, down from his last month's eighth to 12th ranking.
The same preelection survey showed Aquino ranked 11th to 16th, with 33.8 percent of respondents saying they would vote for him.
They were the only senatorial candidates from the eight-member Otso Diretso slate who have "statistical chances of winning."
The other opposition bets are Marawi civic leader Samira Gutoc, Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano, lawyers Chel Diokno, Romy Macalintal, Florin Hilbay, and Erin Tañada.
The Vice President has reasons to believe that there seemed to be an "operation"
to east out Aquino and Roxas out of the Top 12.
"Iyong anim naman, better iyong numbers. Iyong dalawa lang ang talagang to a certain extent, nagwo-work iyong operations sa kanila na hindi sila makapasok sa 12," she said
(The six candidates had better numbers. For the two, the operations were working to a certain extent they won't be able to make it to the 12.)
"So dapat, kami talaga extra effort din para ma-contradict iyong ganitong strategy," Robredo stressed.
(So we should really also exert extra effort to contradict this kind of strategy.)
Meanwhile, some Otso Diretso candidates also reacted to the results of the latest Pulse Asia survey. They were not about to be discouraged.
Gutoc said it only meant they would have to campaign harder.
"It is telling us to step up our efforts, campaign harder, reach more people and continue to fight the good fight. We have one month to go, and we will give our all for the remainder of the campaign period," she said.
Diokno, a human rights lawyer, was clinging to hope the odds will soon change in their favor.
"The fight is far from over. Â Many things can still happen in the coming days. And we expect at the end, we will are still going to succeed," he said in Filipino.
Macalintal said he was not disappointed by his survey performance, but he felt sad for the sectors he would have fought for should he lose in the elections.
"Ang kinalulungkot ko diyan ay sino na ang magtatanggol sa mga senior citizens at sa persons with disability kung sakaling totoo ‘yan?" he said.
(I will be sad that no one will fight for the senior citizens and persons with disability if ever that survey is true.) #MatalinongBoto2019
Vice President Leni Robredo (center) with Otso Diretso senatorial bets (Otso Direstso / MANILA BULLETIN)
"Ginagawa naman namin pero admittedly mahirap talaga—mahirap in the sense na walang resources iyong Otso Diretso," she said in Kalibo, Aklan on the sidelines of the launch of her "Ahon Laylayan" coalition.
(We are doing everything, but admittedly it's really hard--in the sense that Otso Diretso has no resources.)
"Talagang tumitiyaga kami sa tao-tao, sa bayan-bayan. Makakatulong sanang malaki iyong TV ads, iyong radio ads, kaya lang pasulpot-sulpot din kasi talagang sobrang mahal," she added.
(We are really working hard to reach people, every municipality. The TV and radio ads could be a big help, but these are just rarely shown because it's very expensive.)
Roxas' ranking in the March 23-27 survey, was 11th to 17th with a 31.3 percent voter support, down from his last month's eighth to 12th ranking.
The same preelection survey showed Aquino ranked 11th to 16th, with 33.8 percent of respondents saying they would vote for him.
They were the only senatorial candidates from the eight-member Otso Diretso slate who have "statistical chances of winning."
The other opposition bets are Marawi civic leader Samira Gutoc, Magdalo Rep. Gary Alejano, lawyers Chel Diokno, Romy Macalintal, Florin Hilbay, and Erin Tañada.
The Vice President has reasons to believe that there seemed to be an "operation"
to east out Aquino and Roxas out of the Top 12.
"Iyong anim naman, better iyong numbers. Iyong dalawa lang ang talagang to a certain extent, nagwo-work iyong operations sa kanila na hindi sila makapasok sa 12," she said
(The six candidates had better numbers. For the two, the operations were working to a certain extent they won't be able to make it to the 12.)
"So dapat, kami talaga extra effort din para ma-contradict iyong ganitong strategy," Robredo stressed.
(So we should really also exert extra effort to contradict this kind of strategy.)
Meanwhile, some Otso Diretso candidates also reacted to the results of the latest Pulse Asia survey. They were not about to be discouraged.
Gutoc said it only meant they would have to campaign harder.
"It is telling us to step up our efforts, campaign harder, reach more people and continue to fight the good fight. We have one month to go, and we will give our all for the remainder of the campaign period," she said.
Diokno, a human rights lawyer, was clinging to hope the odds will soon change in their favor.
"The fight is far from over. Â Many things can still happen in the coming days. And we expect at the end, we will are still going to succeed," he said in Filipino.
Macalintal said he was not disappointed by his survey performance, but he felt sad for the sectors he would have fought for should he lose in the elections.
"Ang kinalulungkot ko diyan ay sino na ang magtatanggol sa mga senior citizens at sa persons with disability kung sakaling totoo ‘yan?" he said.
(I will be sad that no one will fight for the senior citizens and persons with disability if ever that survey is true.) #MatalinongBoto2019