Drilon apologizes for claiming that Dizon is related to Miñoza, maintains cauldron is extravagant though
By Hannah L. Torregoza
Senate minority leader Franklin Drilon on Thursday apologized to Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA) president Vivencio “Vince” Dizon for wrongly claiming the latter was related to the designer of the controversial P50-million cauldron at the New Clark City to be used for the 30th Southeast Asian Games.
Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon
(CZAR DANCEL / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO) During an interview over ANC’s “Headstart,” Drilon had claimed that late Filipino architect and national artists Francisco “Bobby” Mañosa, who designed the cauldron, was Dizon's father-in-law. “I would like to correct my statement in Headstart this morning about the relationship of the architect who built the SEA Games cauldron, the late Architect Bobby Mañosa, and BCDA Pres. Vince Dizon. They are not related. I was wrong in my information. I apologize to Dizon," Drilon said in a statement. Drilon had earlier questioned the construction of an extravagant cauldron to be used in the SEA Games saying the amount could have been used to build more than 50 million classrooms. Dizon, through Sen. Juan Edgardo "Sonny" Angara, earlier defended the construction of a P50-million cauldron, saying the government is envisioning an impressive hosting of the games and showcasing of Philippine ingenuity by using Filipino designers and performers for the event. Dizon, who is also the presidential adviser on flagship programs and projects, also earlier rejected Drilon's observation the government's "Build, build, build" program is a dismal failure. But Drilon stood pat on his statements. "I maintain that this kaldero is a symbol of extravagance, more than anything else," Drilon said.
Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon(CZAR DANCEL / MANILA BULLETIN FILE PHOTO) During an interview over ANC’s “Headstart,” Drilon had claimed that late Filipino architect and national artists Francisco “Bobby” Mañosa, who designed the cauldron, was Dizon's father-in-law. “I would like to correct my statement in Headstart this morning about the relationship of the architect who built the SEA Games cauldron, the late Architect Bobby Mañosa, and BCDA Pres. Vince Dizon. They are not related. I was wrong in my information. I apologize to Dizon," Drilon said in a statement. Drilon had earlier questioned the construction of an extravagant cauldron to be used in the SEA Games saying the amount could have been used to build more than 50 million classrooms. Dizon, through Sen. Juan Edgardo "Sonny" Angara, earlier defended the construction of a P50-million cauldron, saying the government is envisioning an impressive hosting of the games and showcasing of Philippine ingenuity by using Filipino designers and performers for the event. Dizon, who is also the presidential adviser on flagship programs and projects, also earlier rejected Drilon's observation the government's "Build, build, build" program is a dismal failure. But Drilon stood pat on his statements. "I maintain that this kaldero is a symbol of extravagance, more than anything else," Drilon said.