Duque hopes to reach out to Lacson to clear things on conflict of interest allegations
By CJ Juntereal
By Analou De Vera
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said that he is trying to reach out to Senator Panfilo Lacson in order to discuss the latter's allegations regarding conflict of interest.
Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III (CZAR DANCEL / MANILA BULLETIN)
"I have been trying. But so far, to no avail," said the health chief in an interview on Tuesday.
"I will probably need to identify a person who will be able to help bridge us so that we can come together, hopefully just help one another for the sake of government and for the sake of public service," he added.
Lacson recently revealed that the company owned by Duque's family, Doctors Pharmaceutical Inc. (DPI), has bagged contracts from the Department of Health for medicine supplies. Duque denied the allegations citing the he already divested in their family's company.
Previously, the senator also accused Duque of conflict of interest after it was learned that the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) has been renting the first three levels of a building of Educational and Medical Development Corporation (EMDC) in Dagupan, Pangasinan, which is also owned by Duque's family.
Duque begged off to answer the allegation regarding the EMDC issue since a complaint has already been filed at the Office of the Ombudsman.
“We already have a complaint filed at the Office of the Ombudsman and my lawyer has advised me to wait until the complaint affidavit has been submitted to us,” he said.
Meanwhile, the health chief did not speculate why Lacson is investigating his family's dealing with the health department.
"Of course, nag umpisa yan sa PhilHealth--from the WellMed Dialysis scam and then the allegations on huge overpayments, fraudulent claims, so nag snowball na yan, sama-sama na," he said.
President Duterte's confidence
Meanwhile, Duque believes that President Duterte still trust him despite the allegations being thrown at him.
"Palagay ko naman. (I believe so.) What do you think?,” he said.
The health chief said that he is scheduled to go to the Malacañang Tuesday afternoon but he was not aware of the agenda of the meeting.
“I don’t know yet…. Hopefully good news,” he said.
Department of Health Secretary Francisco Duque III (CZAR DANCEL / MANILA BULLETIN)
"I have been trying. But so far, to no avail," said the health chief in an interview on Tuesday.
"I will probably need to identify a person who will be able to help bridge us so that we can come together, hopefully just help one another for the sake of government and for the sake of public service," he added.
Lacson recently revealed that the company owned by Duque's family, Doctors Pharmaceutical Inc. (DPI), has bagged contracts from the Department of Health for medicine supplies. Duque denied the allegations citing the he already divested in their family's company.
Previously, the senator also accused Duque of conflict of interest after it was learned that the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) has been renting the first three levels of a building of Educational and Medical Development Corporation (EMDC) in Dagupan, Pangasinan, which is also owned by Duque's family.
Duque begged off to answer the allegation regarding the EMDC issue since a complaint has already been filed at the Office of the Ombudsman.
“We already have a complaint filed at the Office of the Ombudsman and my lawyer has advised me to wait until the complaint affidavit has been submitted to us,” he said.
Meanwhile, the health chief did not speculate why Lacson is investigating his family's dealing with the health department.
"Of course, nag umpisa yan sa PhilHealth--from the WellMed Dialysis scam and then the allegations on huge overpayments, fraudulent claims, so nag snowball na yan, sama-sama na," he said.
President Duterte's confidence
Meanwhile, Duque believes that President Duterte still trust him despite the allegations being thrown at him.
"Palagay ko naman. (I believe so.) What do you think?,” he said.
The health chief said that he is scheduled to go to the Malacañang Tuesday afternoon but he was not aware of the agenda of the meeting.
“I don’t know yet…. Hopefully good news,” he said.