While Facebook and its related apps FB messenger and WhatsApp continue to dominate the global social media landscape, TikTok, a relatively new app is taking the world by storm. Now ranked fourth overall in the world’s most downloaded non-game apps from Apple App Store and Google Play Store, TikTok has hit more than 500 million monthly active users worldwide. As of first quarter of 2019, or just after around three years, TikTok is now a bigger social media platform than Instagram, Netflix and Spotify.
How to TikTok?
TikTok is a short video sharing social media platform where users can watch and produce videos using the in-app music, filters, stickers and special effects to create attractive videos.
You need to download the app from App Store or Google Play in order to join the millions of TikTok users, just search for TikTok, download the app, click open and you’re ready to go. You can now produce your 15-second videos and share your masterpiece to the world.
While it looks like most TikTok users are young people, many believe that these are just the early adaptors and that the platform could be used by just anybody, regardless of age. Analysts believe that the future of video is short video. Recent studies show that videos that are 90 seconds or less are watched to completion in any platform and longer videos only get 10% completion rates. This is the reason why many are attracted to TikTok.
I started TikTok out of curiosity and was surprised to enjoy it, first just as a viewer and eventually as a creator. My most popular video on TikTok is the Huawei Mate X foldable phone. It was played more than 2.4million times and got more than 213,000 likes, a feat for a 15-second video.
Are you ready to be the next short video star? Here’s how:
- Download. Search for “TikTok” in Google Play or in the App Store then download.
- Install. Open the app, and then click on the icon on the bottom right corner of the home page. You can create a new account or use third-party sign-in systems.
- Sign up. If you wish to create a new account, add in your birthday, phone number or email address, then set your password.
- Discover. You can see popular videos in the “For You” feed. Just swipe up or down for more content.
- Create. To start creating your own TikTok video, tap the “+” button to shoot and then edit your video.
- Challenge. Join challenges to express your creativity in the community.
- Keep it positive. TikTok’s mission is to capture the world’s creativity, knowledge and precious life moments. It is important that users feel safe and comfortable when expressing themselves.