4 inmates killed in Davao jail riot

Published February 24, 2019, 4:17 PM

by Dhel Nazario, Jeffrey G. Damicog, and Rey G. Panaligan

By Junar Fenequito

DAVAO CITY – Four inmates were killed when they tried to resist in the conduct of a random search and drug test at the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) annex building here Saturday.

Authorities said inmates Alvin Celis, Dexter Delfrino, Flor Leonard Restsuro, and Jerry Fernandez were killed after they engaged jail authorities in a fisticuff during a “Greyhound Operation” at their cell at around 10:30 a.m. Saturday.

“Greyhound Operation” was a random body search, cellular phone check and drug test conducted by BJMP Region 11.

The report said when the inmates were asked to go out of their cell, one of them pulled out a homemade shotgun, or “sumpak”, and fired at PO3 March Cameros.

Cameros was hit in the chest, but was able to survive the attack because he was wearing a bulletproof vest.

Caught off-guard, Cameros returned fire and shot at the charging inmates.

The police tried to secure the other inmates during the commotion but instead of cooperating, they drew bladed weapons and attacked the law enforcers, forcing the other security personnel to fire gunshots to immobilize them, according to the police report.

Four police officers were wounded and taken to the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SMPC).

A search was conducted in the cell which resulted in the recovery of two big plastic sachets of suspected tshabu with an estimate weight of 15 grams worth P160,000, and numerous drug paraphernalia and other deadly weapons.

Meanwhile, an official of the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) was found positive for illegal drugs during a surprise inspection and random drug testing inside at the BJMP headquarters here Saturday

The Davao City Police Office (DCPO) identified the BJMP official as Jail Chief Insp. Roman Hernandez, Davao del Sur provincial jail administrator.

Report said Hernandez, along with other BJMP personnel, were subjected to drug testing at around 3 a.m. last February 23, after receiving information that personnel in their ranks were involved in the illegal drugs activity.

Hernandez has been placed under the custody of Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) 11, which is preparing the appropriate charges against him.