The Philippines bagged the Destination of the Year at the Routes Asia 2025 Awards in Australia in recognition of the country's efforts in air connectivity and tourism development, the Department of Tourism (DOT) announced on Monday, March 31.
DOT Secretary Christina Garcia-Frasco said the award affirms the country’s commitment to enhancing aviation partnerships, strengthening connectivity, and positioning the Philippines as a premier global destination.
“This award is a testament to our collaboration with aviation and travel industry stakeholders, our strategic focus on connectivity, and our shared vision of making the Philippines a top-tier global destination,” Frasco said.
The Routes Asia Awards honor excellence in air service development and marketing across the Asia-Pacific region, bringing together airlines, airports, and tourism authorities to improve route connectivity.
The Philippines’ recognition highlights the impact of its flagship “Love the Philippines” campaign, which has bolstered global interest in the country’s natural attractions, cultural heritage, and emerging destinations.
Under the National Tourism Development Plan (NTDP) 2023–2028, the DOT has prioritized air access expansion, resulting in 46 new domestic and 47 international routes as of Feb. 28.
These developments have enhanced connectivity to key destinations such as Siargao, Batanes, Panglao, and Coron.
In collaboration with the Department of Transportation (DOTr) and other agencies, the DOT has also focused on airport infrastructure improvements, the restoration of suspended routes, and increased flight frequencies to further boost accessibility.
Cebu Pacific, the country’s leading low-cost carrier, was also recognized at the event, winning Best Airline for the second consecutive year.
The airline expanded its operations in 2024, launching 31 new routes, resuming hub operations in Davao and Iloilo, and adding flights to Kaohsiung, Chiang Mai, and Sapporo.
Strengthening its global reach, Cebu Pacific placed an order for 152 Airbus jets worth $24 billion, marking the largest aircraft acquisition in Philippine aviation history.
The Philippines also secured nominations for its airports, with Mactan-Cebu International Airport (MCIA) competing in the 5–20 Million Passengers category and Clark International Airport (CRK) in the Under 5 Million Passengers category, both previously recognized for their strategic route development and growth.
Frasco expressed gratitude to the aviation sector, emphasizing the vital role of air connectivity in the country’s tourism growth.
“We deeply appreciate our partner airlines and the entire aviation sector for their strong commitment to expanding access and improving connectivity across our archipelagic nation,” she said.
“These developments not only open more destinations but also make travel more seamless, giving visitors more reasons to love the Philippines.”
The Philippine delegation to Routes Asia 2025 included representatives from the DOT, Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB), Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP), Mactan-Cebu International Airport Authority (MCIAA), Aboitiz GMR Megawide Cebu Airport Corporation (AGMCAC), Luzon International Premiere Airport Development Corporation (LIPAD), Clark International Airport Corporation (CIAC), Bases Conversion and Development Authority (BCDA), and Clark Development Corporation (CDC).
DOT Assistant Secretary Judilyn Quiachon, Director Warner Andrada, and Tourism Attaché for Australia and New Zealand Purificacion Suanding-Molintas personally received the Destination of the Year Award on behalf of the Philippines.