As he neared the start of his presidency, President-elect Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, Jr. assured President Duterte that he would continue his programs as he expressed his gratitude to the outgoing leader for supporting him and Vice President-elect Sara Duterte.
Marcos Jr. said this remark days before he took his oath as the 17the President of the Philippines on June 30.
In his vlog uploaded to YouTube on Saturday, the incoming leader said he spoke with Duterte during the inauguration of the latter’s daughter as the country’s next Vice President in Davao City last week.
“Pinasalamatan ko siya (President Duterte), dahil kahit papaano sinuportahan kami ni Inday Sara pati ako (I thanked him because he still supported Inday Sara and I),” he said.
“Tiniyak ko sa kanya na ang mga proyekto niya na nakabuti sa bansa ay ipagpapatuloy ko (I assured him that I would continue his projects that were beneficial to the country),” he added.
Marcos Jr. recognized the thanksgiving concert for Duterte on June 26 and said he would also join the public in giving thanks to the outgoing President. However, he did not clarify if he would physically attend the celebration at the Quirino Grandstand on Sunday afternoon.
“Nakikita natin ang paparating na pasasalamat ng ating mga kababayan para sa kanyang ginawang pagseserbisyo itong nakaraang anim na taon (We are seeing the upcoming thanksgiving of the people to the President for his service over the past six years),” he said.
“Kasama na rin ako diyan na magpaparating ng aking saludo at pasasalamat para sa kanyang makasaysayan na pamumuno (I am one in saluting and thanking President Duterte for his historic leadership),” he added.
It is no public secret that President Duterte is close to the Marcos family, even saying in 2018 that he had no problem resigning if Marcos Jr. had won the vice-presidential race in 2016. Marcos Jr. lost the vice presidency to outgoing Vice President Leni Robredo.
However, since the filing of the certificates of candidacy (COCs) for the 2022 elections in October last year, Duterte made known that he was not keen on supporting Marcos Jr. in his quest for the presidency because the latter was supposedly a weak leader.
Until Election Day on May 9, President Duterte stood his ground and did not announce any candidate to support. He did not even reveal whom he voted for as his successor.
After becoming the clear winner in the elections, Marcos Jr. offered Duterte to be his drug war czar. Malacañang said the outgoing President had already declined the offer. Duterte has revealed that he would want to return to teaching.
Despite these, President Duterte asked the public to support Marcos Jr. as he assumed the presidency on June 30, saying there was no room in the country for divisiveness.