The Tasting Club presents special pairings to cap the month of October
For many cerveza-loving drinkers around the world, October is a month to celebrate all things beer. People in every nation gather to share a good time over a mugs and bottles of beer during Oktoberfest. But with the global pandemic, this festivity has been put to a halt as mass gatherings and parties are still prohibited. While having a beer mug with other beer fans can’t be done physically now, that doesn’t mean that the spirit of Oktoberfest has gone missing. And if you’re looking for a new way to observe it, then this virtual event is definitely a perfect fit for you.
To cap October with a special feast, The Tasting Club partners with Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila, Brouwerij Van Steenberge, and the Belgian-Filipino Business Club in bringing “Belgian Beer Exploration with the Filipino Touch,” a one-of-a-kind, virtual tasting to take place on Saturday, Oct. 30, 2021 at 5 p.m. via Zoom.
For this exceptional virtual tasting, they have curated five different artisanal beers from the brewery Brouwerij Van Steenberge, established in 1874 in the province of East Flanders.
“The purpose of the tasting is to appreciate and understand how the different types of artisanal beers are produced in Belgium,” Kevin Charuel, founder of The Tasting Club, explains. “With the rise in popularity of craft beers in the Philippines, we are very excited to share some of the finest artisanal beers produced in the world.”
Here’s a beer event to cap your October
This tasting will also be unique as each beer will be paired with Filipino fusion pica-pica especially prepared for the occasion by Chef Bettina Arguelles, executive chef of the Sofitel Philippine Plaza Manila.
“Pairing gourmet beers with fine dishes incorporating Filipino ingredients will definitely be a special tasting experience for beer connoisseurs and foodies” Kevin adds.
Each participant will receive a tasting kit featuring the five curated artisanal beers and concocted dishes to enjoy the virtual presentation conducted by Jef Versele, brewmaster and sixth-generation family owner of Brouwerij Van Steenberge and Chef Bettina.
As for the tasting menu and beer pairings, all attendees will enjoy the following:
- Baptist Wit – Wheat Beer, 5 percent abv paired with Tomate Crevette and Kesong Puti Dip Arugula (cherry tomato, shrimp, kesong puti, and fresh tarragon)
- Baptist Blond – Top Fermented Clear Beer, 5,2 percent abv paired with Waterzoï (chicken braised in cream, vegetables, and malunggay)
- Augustijn Blond – Monestary Blond Beer, 7 percent abv paired with Baked Tahong Mussels (Malagos Blue Peppato, garlic, and spinach)
- Piraat – Amber Ale, 10,5 percent abv paired with Boulettes a la Manillaise (pork and beef meatballs, Cerveza Negra, and mango)
- Gulden Draak – Dark Red Tripel, 10,5 percent abv paired with Chilli Chocolate Fudge (70 percent Guanaja chocolate, siling labuyo, and almond)
This Belgian Beer Exploration with the Filipino Touch will be a great occasion to learn about the craft behind artisanal beers made in Belgium but also enjoy a new epicurean experience while pairing new flavors with friends and relatives.
Each tasting kit is priced at ₱2,000 (all-inclusive) and features the selection of five artisanal beers (333ml each) plus food pairings (food bites good for 1-2 pax) with complementary delivery within Metro Manila.