DFA tells Pinoys in Tripoli to take shelter in safe places amid clashes


Filipinos in Tripoli were told to take shelter in safe places amid the ongoing clashes between militias in the Libyan capital.

Damaged vehicles are pictured in a street in the Libyan capital Tripoli on August 27, 2022, following clashes between rival Libyan groups. Clashes between backers of Libya's rival governments killed at least 13 people and damaged six hospitals in Tripoli, sparking fears that a political crisis could spiral into a major new armed conflict. Mahmud TURKIA / AFP

So far, no Filipinos are reported hurt amid the ongoing hostilities, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Sunday night, Aug. 28.

"As of this time, no report has been received on Filipinos hurt nor injured in the clashes," the DFA said in a statement.

It said the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli has issued two advisories urging Filipinos in Libya's capital and nearby districts to avoid the areas where the clashes are taking place.

It also told Filipinos in the foreign land to take shelter in safe places and get in touch with the embassy for assistance.

"The DFA strongly urges our kababayans to take shelter at home or in other safe places while the fighting is ongoing and to contact our Embassy through its hotline numbers for immediate assistance," DFA said.

The DFA said that the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli "is monitoring the situation and has reported to DFA the ongoing clashes in Tripoli and surrounding areas."

According to Libya's health ministry, the ongoing clashes have killed at least 32 people and wounded 159 others.

There are about 2,164 Filipinos in Libya who are mostly nurses and other hospital workers as well as university instructors, and skilled workers in the oil and gas sector.