The Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) filed on Monday, April 11, criminal charges against five policemen and several others in connection with the kidnapping of an online sabong (cockfighting) master agent in San Pablo City in Laguna last year.
The CIDG did not disclose the name of the five policemen but said they are all former members of the Provincial Intelligence Unit of the Laguna Provincial Police Office.
In a statement, the CIDG said cases of Kidnapping/Serious Illegal Detention and Robbery with Intimidation were filed against the suspects before the Department of Justice (DOJ).
The cases stemmed from the abduction of Ricardo Lasco who was forcibly taken from his home in Barangay San Lucas on August 30 last year.
Based on the complaint, the gunmen also took P500,000 personal belongings of the Lasso’s family and P180,000 cash.
Lasco, who also works as real estate agent, is still missing.
One of the suspects was identified Lasso’s relatives and at the course of the probe, four more cops were identified.
“The CIDG is continuously gathering information to trace and locate the victim while a continuous investigation is being conducted on the identified suspects, especially on their connection with unscrupulous groups,” the CIDG said in a statement.
“Meanwhile, investigators are relentless in identifying the remaining suspect for filing appropriate charges against the perpetrators,” it added.
The CIDG earlier said that it also filed criminal charges against eight people in connection with the kidnapping of at least six online sabong players at the Manila Arena in January this year.
A total of 34 online sabong players who were kidnapped since last year remain missing.