PNP Chief assures protection for mediamen

Published January 27, 2022, 4:30 PM

by Calvin Cordova 

CEBU CITY — Police here assured that they are ready to provide security to members of the media whose lives are under threat.

As the May election approaches, providing media members with security is one of the orders issued by Philippine National Police Chief Gen. Dionardo Carlos.

Carlos has named 133 public information officers who will serve as point persons for media security.

The PNP Chief assured that the police will take immediate action if they receive reports of threats involving media members.

Police Lt. Col. Maria Theresa Macatangay, information officer of the Cebu City Police Office, said media members are considered ally by the police and threats should be immediately acted upon.

Macatangay advised that threats received by the media should be reported to the police immediately for threat assessment.

“We have to assess if threats are validated and should be substantiated by other members of the media as well to avoid misconception of special treatment,” Macatangay said.

Once the threat is validated, police security will be provided while investigation to determine the source of the threat will be conducted.

Macatangay added that so far, the CCPO has yet to receive reports of media members in Cebu who are under threat.

Last year, two shooting incidents involving media personalities were recorded where Rey Cortes was fatally shot shortly after he hosted his blocktime program in Barangay Mambaling.

Last December, Rico Osmeña, also a blocktimer and a correspondent of a national newspaper, was shot while riding a passenger jeepney in pier area.

Osmeña survived the attack.

No arrests have been made yet involving the two incidents.

 
CLICK HERE TO SIGN-UP
 

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

["news","visayas","news"]
[2918525,3003205,3003208,3003202,3003199,3003211,3003196]